Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

BAKE Cheese Tart - A Puff of Cheese Goodness

Closed

Usually I don't queue to try out any food. But since I love Hakodate Cheesecake from Hokkaido, and BAKE cheese tarts happen to have Hakodate cream cheese as one of their ingredients, I decided to take the plunge and check out the famed cheese tarts. I had waited for thirty minutes, which is my limit and is not that bad as compared to those two hours queue or even three.


Talking about the cheese filling first, when I bite into the cheese mousse, I feel like I am savouring a light puff of cloud saturated with the goodness of cheese. It is far lighter than the cream based mousse in mousse cakes. The taste of the blend of Japanese and French cheeses is subtle and milky yet distinct and exotic. The addictive taste plus the uniqueness of the texture and flavour make it worthwhile to try at least once.

The bowl of the buttery pastry shell has soft, crumbly texture that goes perfectly well with the incredibly light mousse. But the rim of the shell is harder, which hardly meshes well with the mousse. Though I find that munching on the rim is akin to eating a sweet butter cookie, not a bad start as a prelude to chomping the cheese tart down in a few bites. So my suggestion is to nibble up the entire rim, then move on to eat the mousse with the rest of the pastry shell.

So is it worth the wait? For thirty minutes, quite. For more than an hour, not really. While I like the taste of the mousse, I find the feelings of eating it to be fleeting and transient. It does not induce that solid, filling type of feelings that I want when tucking into any kinds of food. For a quick thrill, it is a great bite to indulge in.

My Thoughts: Sweet Bliss!

This outlet is no longer in operation.