Search This Blog

Monday, May 29, 2017

Nakhon Kitchen - Surprisingly Good

At last, another Thai restaurant featured on my site! As I had said before: I only bother to write about restaurants that are at least decent, and not a lot of Thai restaurants can make it up here. The problem is not with the cuisine itself since I absolutely love Mai Thai and this new kid on my blog. It is more of lacking the time to specially go down to the ones out of the way—have to admit that when I have the time, I usually use it to suss out the European restaurants instead. And it does not help that lots of neighbourhood Thai eateries just do not impress me. Anyway, it is always good to add another eatery into my list of restaurants I will regularly visit.

The Tom Yum soup is uncannily similar to Mai Thai's one, which I billed as the best tom yum soup. Very clear and clean, saturated with strong flavours of tomatoes, lemongrass, seafood, lime, kaffir lime leaves and coriander leaves, this soup truly simulates the senses.

The spring rolls feature very crispy skin, but the fillings are not exactly noteworthy. The highlights are the vegetables do not have a weird taste that most cabbages have, and the rolls do not have that smell of stale oil. Red curry has the rich creamy taste of coconut, which I love, though I wish they can be more generous with the amount of meat used. Well, at least, fresh meat is used. Deep fried chicken with garlic hits all the right notes with sprinkles of spices on top and its fresh, succulent meat with no tendons. This is one of those few times I actually like deep fried meat.

I think Nakhon Kitchen serves Northern Thai cuisine since it is so similar to Mai Thai's. I had tried Thai food of Southern region, and taste wise, they are quite different from the ones of above two mentioned restaurants. Since the two are on par in terms of food, I will go to Mai Thai for ambience and Nakhon Kitchen for the well-being of our wallets.

No photo taken because being low profile, I do not fancy taking photos with a bunch of people standing beside me—they are actually queuing for a table while I am happily tucking in my food. Note that I am happy with the food, but the environment is noisy. I suspect the loud music is to ensure patrons do not hang around to just chit chat after finishing the meals. But frankly speaking, I rather come here than to go to some sub-par restaurants with air-conditioning.

My Thoughts: Nice!

Nearest car park: Open air HDB car park behind Blk 212
Nearest MRT: Kovan

212 Hougang St 21
#01-341
Singapore
Contact No: 62868785